Key Dates

1936

  • 12th March – Admiral Sir David Beatty dies
  • 25th April – Yarwoods produces the builder’s plans for a new motor narrow boat for the Samuel Barlow Coal Company Limited

1937

  • November – W. J. Yarwood & Sons complete construction of Beatty
  • 24th November – Beatty leaves Yarwoods for fitting out at Polesworth
  • 20th December – gauged for the Oxford Canal

1938

  • 1st January – registered under the Canal Boats Act at Tamworth
  • January – Beatty enters service with Samuel Barlow Coal Company

1955

  • Original Petter engine replaced with a new Armstrong Siddeley Merganser

1960

  • Beatty is bought by Jack Craddock for conversion to a pleasure craft

1963

  • Conversion finished – Beatty begins cruising with a full-length cabin

1967

  • Carries official party for the reopening of the Stourbridge 16 locks

1968

  • Beatty is bought by Martin and Jennifer Grundy
  • Attends the IWA National Rally in Liverpool

1970

  • Beatty attends the IWA National Rally in Guildford

1987

  • Beatty’s back deck and boatman’s cabin are replaced in steel by David Harris

1998

  • Leads a convoy of narrow boats crossing the Mersey to attend the IWA Salford Quays National Rally

2006

  • New opepe bottom fitted by Malcolm Webster

2007-2008

  • Steel cabin constructed to replace wooden conversion

2012

  • 3rd June – Beatty takes part in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the Thames representing the County of Merseyside

2014

  • The Armstrong Siddeley AS2 fitted in 1955 is replaced with a similar engine which had seen little use as a standby generator